Monday, July 12, 2010

27 Dresses and the Melting Pot.

In the spirit of discussing restaurants (see previous post) it’s only makes sense that I share my Melting Pot experience. Normally I’m not a big proponent of chain restaurants (don’t worry…I don’t think I’m too good for a chain restaurant).  I just really like supporting the local guys.

Anyway, the Melting Pot (in all its chain glory…) made the list for a few reasons: 1. Many people have recommended it. 2. Because of that, I’ve wanted to go for a number of years…but I’ve just never gotten around to it. 3. Because it’s fondue, dinner might take a few hours. I like long dinners; they often make for good conversation.

Thanks to my friend Ryanne, this particular trip to the Melting Pot was especially, and pleasantly, unique. Once a month, the Melting Pot hosts a theme night and the proceeds benefit a local non-profit. A day or so before this unexpected dinner, Ryanne sent an email about how the Melting Pot was hosting a “27 Dresses” theme night. “27 Dresses” is a movie (with Katherine Heigl) about a girl who has been a bridesmaid 27 times.

This particular night, the Melting Pot offered anyone wearing a bridesmaid dress the opportunity to partake in a 4 course meal and an open bar for $35…not a bad deal. From what I’ve heard, the going rate is often $50…without drinks.

Not only do I appreciate the total randomness of the evening (yes, I felt like a complete “tool” walking from my car to the restaurant in a bridesmaid dress…) BUT Ryanne’s coworker Ruthie joined us so I made a new friend…and let’s be honest, how can you not bond over a Thursday evening of fondue, cocktails, and bridesmaid dresses?!?

I admit, I never anticipated my first trip to the Melting Pot would involve a bridesmaid dress (Meredith, I wore the one from your wedding…) but the unexpected, spontaneous, and random things often make for some of the most fond and vivid memories…and I think that’s fun. :)

1 comment: